Monday, December 1, 2008

Missing My Husband and Movers

Yesterday, I dropped Mike off at the Philadelphia airport and watched as he made it through all the security points...minus me! We had originally planned for me to leave a few days after Mike because plane tickets are ridiculously expensive and leaving on a Wednesday saved us like $300 versus leaving on a Sunday. However, back in NM when we were trying to find great deals to fly to Mike's parents for Christmas, the best we found was over $1000! I mean, I love Mike's family, but there was NO way we were going to spend that much on plane tickets. If we did that, no one would get any Christmas presents. So needless to say, Mike had the idea that instead of me flying back a few days after Thanksgiving, I should just stay at my mom's house and drive down to North Carolina for Christmas and meet him and his family there. We'd still be paying for one ticket, but I am basically getting two trips for the price of one.

That all being said, I love being home and spending time with my mom and sister. It's just weird to be without Mike because I'm so used to the little family that we've started. I miss our little Christmas tree in our hotel room too! (We named him Charlie) While Mike was here, we were finally able to open up all of our wedding gifts! That was fun although Mike said I made out more than he did because we got mostly kitchen stuff. I quickly fired back that the "kitchen stuff" would benefit him as much as me so he better not complain.

Anyway, after opening up the gifts, I had to get everything organized for the movers. Mike's stuff is already in Japan but mine has been in storage, also known as mom's basement. We really didn't have a lot of furniture before we got married. To compensate, we bought a brand new couch, coffee table, end table, mattress, and a huge t.v. console to hold Mike's 50 inch t.v. We got all of this with our wedding money from Ikea and the total was less than $900! Pretty good deal when you're a newlywed. All of the fun gifts that I am so anxious to use are still wrapped prettily in their packages...the kitchen aid, coffee maker, panini machine, belgian waffle maker, dishes, linens, pillows...okay pretty much everything! I can't wait to set it up in our new house or apartment. We really have no idea what we're going to get.

Oh, quick update! You might have been thinking, "Wait, wasn't there a problem with her asthma and moving to Japan?" Well, that all got straightened out when I met with the flight doc. I told him about my mild asthma and what the other people said about not letting me move because of that. He was a major, a great guy from jersey and his exact words were, "That's bull$@%!" Those are his words, not mine : ) He told me that my case of asthma wasn't even appicable to that rule but for safe measure, he wasn't going to put that down anywhere on the forms.

Now, I'm nestled upstairs with the pets while the movers are downstairs in the basement gathering all of my things. My mom is beyond excited to get my stuff out of here!

3 comments:

Emily said...

i keep forgetting that you guys are going to japan...you have to tell me how it is over there! if you'll be in jersey for a bit, give me a call or message or something and we can see each other.

Rae said...

I'm jealous of all your wedding gifts! I want a KitchenAid....:) I'm glad there were no problems with you joining Mike in Japan!

Kirby said...

I miss you. I wish you were just hanging out in Arizona! Call me, we need to catch up.