Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Activities

This past weekend I went to Brooklyn and stayed at my sister and her fiance's apartment for our annual CINY experience. For the past three years, Molly, Ben, Howard (Ben's brother) and I meet in New York City and try to do a lot of festive holiday activities. Each year, we invite friends to join us. For two years, Taz (a great friend of Howard's and now of all us as well) joined us for CINY and this year my dear friend Bronwen from way back in 9th grade tagged along as well.











We started the event by walking across the Brooklyn Bridge into the city-something we've all wanted to do but never made the effort. It was SUPER cold but so beautiful to look at. Half-way through our walk, we stopped and sipped on hot cider that Mol had packed in her purse for such emergencies. Once we crossed the bridge, we went to Union Square where there's a huge Christmas market every year. Then we went to BLT Burger and ate homemade burgers (or veggie burgers.) Next, we met Taz in Times Square and walked over to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree and the ice skating rink. During this time of year, the place is a zoo and it's just too crazy to hang out there for very long. After seeing the tree, we stopped at the Mariott Marquis and sat in the biggest hotel lobby even know to man and again sipped on hot cider. We also ate cookie crumbs (back story-I made cute Christmas cookies and Mol put them in her purse to eat later...needless to say, they weren't very cute once we pulled them out.) I was a little disappointed cause every year that I go to the Mariott, there's an awesome gingerbread house display set up in the lobby but not this year. By the end of the day, Mol, Ben, and I went to the movies and saw "Rachel Getting Married" and then went straight to bed at 10 pm. It was a LONG day.





The next day, I helped Molly get ready for Ben's art studio Christmas Party (well I watched while she cooked in the kitchen.) By my third plastic cup of wine, I was very happy to be at the party and showed such happiness by spilling red wine all over my shirt and pants. Thankfully everyone was engaged in conversation so no one witnessed my clumsiness besides my sister. Plus I was wearing dark colors so you couldn't even tell!

Now I'm getting ready to drive down to North Carolina to spend Christmas with Mike and his family. I've VERY excited to see him-it's been three weeks and when you're a newlywed, that's too long! I'm super excited to spend the holidays with Mike's fam but am a little sad that I won't be with my mom and sister...the first time without them in 24 years!

3 comments:

Rae said...

That sounds so festive and fun!! I hope your Christmas with Mike is undelayed and awesome.

Emily said...

it was so nice to see you today! i wanted to go ahead and give you my email before i forgot:
emmie6856@hotmail.com
i'll see if i can't find our friends' info for you for japan. merry christmas!

Lynne Baker said...

Bridgie Woo,

I am so jealous! Merril and I wanted to walk the Brooklyn Bridge in Octboer (that was one of my big objectives in NYC)but it never happened. And Rockefeller Center! Remember how nuts it was the night you, Molly, your mom and I were there the year Molly graduated? Yikes! Anyway, CINY sounds like a fabulous tradition; maybe we can do it together again sometime!

Love you,

Auntie M