Thursday, November 20, 2008

Turkey Trot Run and Christmas Cards

So since I don't have a job while I'm in ABQ, I've been trying to find things to occupy my time. On Tuesday, Kirtland AFB hosted its annual Turkey Trot run. I showed promptly on time...and to my surprise, no one really wanted to be a part of it I guess. Only five people showed up to the race (it was a 5K) so needless to say, the race wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. After the race, they gave me a turkey because I won. I actually think its really funny that they classified it as a race with only five people but anyway... I happily took the huge frozen turkey and took a picture for the Kirtland AFB newspaper and then walked back to my car with the frozen turkey on my shoulder. I got a few honks and hollers asking me if I won the turkey. It was a little embarrassing. Anyway, as I got to the car, I realized that not only did I not have a place to store this turkey (we only have a mini-fridge), but I didn't even have a kitchen to cook it in : ( I really wanted to cook that turkey but instead, I brought it to the base chapel so that they could get more enjoyment out of it. 

Now, I'm thinking of competing in the Christmas Card competition! I know...my life doesn't sound too fun does it? But besides that fact, if you have any ideas of some fun Christmas card ideas, please fill me in. I'm in it to win it ok? Plus, I will get money if it gets first place! 

Ok, you can laugh. 

3 comments:

Rae said...

Hey, I think it's great that you're finding ways to occupy your time. I'm smiling pretty hugely imagining you with a frozen turkey on your shoulder, having just won a 5k. :) That's awesome!

Kirby said...

Wow you won the race!! Who cares how many people were in it...I would totally leave that part out. :) I know how it feels to have lots of free time..call me!

Emily said...

thats awesome about the turkey. congrats (though you couldn't enjoy your spoils)! i'll give the cards some thoughts...sounds fun!