Friday, April 24, 2009

Will moving ever be easy?

On Wednesday, I had to say bye to Mike at the Raleigh airport. He got on one plane and two hours later, I got on another. Leading up to the day that Mike left was pretty emotional for me because as  you all know, moving isn't easy. There were so many things left to take care of that had to wait until the last minute and it made it overwhelming all at once. Because we've lived out of suitcases for nine months, there were more things to pack than suitcases available. That left me to box and wrap them all up as well as pay lots of money to ship them to an overseas location. And lets not forget that we had no address at the time so we had to send it to Mike's sponsor. I'm sorry if I sound negative. I'm really not. I am just amazed and grateful that we were able to get through that week. 

Now I'm back at home and I haven't heard Mike's voice since he left. To get to Japan, we had to pay out of pocket for a plane ticket to Seattle. Mike left at 6pm on Wednesday and made a connection in Houston. He landed there at 1130 at night and had to recheck his bags at the AMC terminal in the Seattle airport. Then, he had sit at the gate at 3 am and wait to board his next flight which was set to leave at 5 am. THEN, when the military hop took off, it made a pit stop in Anchorage four hours later. Finally, the flight took off for its final destination to Yokota Air Base...which was another seven hours. By this time, it was 10 am on Friday morning Japan time and 9pm east coast time. The poor guy traveled a total of 27 hours! Yay...something I get to look forward to. I waited anxiously to get an email from Mike since we both knew that he couldn't exactly pick up his cell phone to call me. I kept checking my gmail and then I noticed that Mike was online at 11 Thursday night! I quickly im'd him and was so happy to see the sentence, "Oh my gosh! I was just writing you an email!" I talked to him online for about an hour and then we made plans to hook up online again in the morning. Mike told me so many cool things that I was too excited to fall asleep. I had that nervous excited feeling that you get the night before the first day of school. I still feel that way actually! I've got plans to meet up with him again in a half hour so I'm hoping to hear some more cool things about our new foreign home for the next three years. 

Now I'm facing my end of the moving to-do's that are still unchecked on my list. None of it is hard, just overwhelming at times. Molly's wedding is making me a little nervous too as I have to come up with an original MOH speech and help her with last minute details. Oh well, all in good time my friends! 

1 comment:

Kirby said...

Dont fret my pet, your speech will be great and Japan is going to be a blast. I love you!