Monday, April 13, 2009

Family Time

Since I've been home, I've been able to spend a lot of time with both my mom and sister in NJ and NY. On one of our trips to the city, my mom and I went to Kleinfeld's where Mol got her first fitting. Here's a pic of what her dress looked like when she first tried it on. 
Then we walked around the city a little bit and I couldn't resist to take a picture of this cute bulldog waiting for his owner inside the coffee shop ; ) 
My mom got a fancy mocha and it brought back memories of Clemson as you can see! 
On another trip to NY, my mom insisted that I snap a picture of this fancy group of dog walkers that we spotted in Central Park. It's so cool to see how these guys do it! 

After Mike got back from SERE school, we went to our first NHL hockey game where the Philly flyers played against the Florida Panthers. 

We also went to a Phillies baseball game the next day against the Braves but because the Braves lost, Mike was in a bad mood...which is why there are no pictures to post of my "happy" husband.

For the rest of the week, Mike and I kept our schedule pretty simple. My mom took a couple days to spend time with us and we went to play miniature golf. I had never played a game of putt-putt until I met Mike and because of all of my years of having a personal trainer by my side, I've become quite the putter! In fact, I actually beat Mike at this game by one point and made the final challenge hole and won myself another free game. Mike handled his loss much better than I thought! 
After the game, we went to a fun place right by my mom's house called Johnson's Farm. 




On Saturday, Molly hosted Easter brunch at my mom's house since Mike and I were leaving for his parent's on Easter. Ben's parents, Helen and John, came along with his brother Howard and his girlfriend Kelly. We snapped this picture after Mike handed out name tags that he made for everyone to wear since Kelly didn't know any of us yet. Notice how my name is supposed to be an egg but looks like a football and how Molly's is shaped into a short bus...



Here's a close up of the fancy tablescape! I made the place cards. 

Mike and I were having a little too much fun with our chocolate bunnies and were making them do inappropriate things when no one was looking! They look quite innocent in this picture ; ) 
For those of you that have been to my mom's house, you know that her basement has this enormous seating arrangement that we like to call "The Sleeping Couch." Mike surrendered to its temptation after a satisfying meal while I snuggled and sipped my coffee. 

Every Easter, Mike and I like to make each other Easter baskets. They're never fancy but each year, we try to outdo the other by making our baskets have something extra special! This year, I found a camouflage basket and I thought I sealed the deal. However, Mike outdid me by hiding 16 camouflage eggs all over the house. It was fun to search for eggs with my little basket...I can't really remember the last time I did that! For the next couple of weeks, we always enjoy munching on the candy that comes with them. In fact, Mike confessed that last night he woke up in the middle of the night and ate one of my Reester chocolate bunnies! Hmmm, guess they're that good that you have to get up at 2 in the morning?!?!
Now we're at Mike's parent's house relaxing and taking in some more family time before Mike heads off to Japan on the 22nd! I won't be leaving until after Molly's wedding but it will be about a month before I see Mike again so I will be sad to see him go : ( I'm sending Mike with our video camera so that he will post some videos of Yokota and maybe even some of our new house! At this point, the hardest thing is saying bye to our family, not the move itself. We both can't wait to get settled and finally unpack our suitcases that we've lived out of for seven months! While Mike's in Japan, I'll be in NJ training for the Broad Street Run. Then on the 5th, I'm flying to California to spend a week with my family in Huntington Beach! It will be so nice to hang out with my cousins and my grandma! I will see everyone soon after for Mol's wedding but my grandmother is too old to travel so it's important for me to spend time with her before I leave the country for good. Then when I get back to NJ, Molly will probably have a lot of little things for me to do during the two weeks leading up to her wedding. It's going to be a very busy time for everyone but we're all so anxious and can't wait! 
 

3 comments:

Emily said...

I had to laugh...at the picture of you and Mike on the sleeping couch, it totally looks like he's sucking his thumb. It looks like you had a wonderful Easter. And Molly's dress is so lovely! Good luck with everything that you have coming up!

Rae said...

One of the things I love best about you two is the sense of humor you both have, that sense of fun. I LOVE the picture of you guys on the couch; it's sweet and funny. :) I love the name tags, especially your football-ish egg one. I love that you guys did an egg hunt, and I especially laughed reading that Mike ate one of your chocolates in the middle of the night. I love Molly's dress, too! (Sorry for the whopper of a comment. Obviously I liked this post a lot.)

Kirby said...

I love your hair, you were right..totally Posh Spice. Molly's dress looks gorgeous! I bet you had such a fun Easter. Okay so I am starting to get really sad that you are moving to Japan. It will be such an adventure, but really so far away...sad!