Wednesday, September 24, 2008

We have arrived!

We are in BEAUTIFUL Albuquerque, NM and I just LOVE it! There are gorgeous mountains to the east and three volcanoes to the west. There are so many things to see and do here like hiking or skiing. We are located in "Mountain Time" where the altitude is high and the air is quite dry, a nice change from the sticky humidity of Alabama. 

Mike and I are checked in at the Kirtland Inn where we will be staying until we move to Japan. We are basically in a hotel room, although the room is much larger than standard size. We have a separate bedroom and living room and a decent sized bathroom. Two things that aren't so great is that there is no kitchen and you can't get internet service in your room, only down in the basement. Mike and I have been eating out quite a lot but I figured out a way to change that. You see, my absolute FAVORITE grocery store is only a ten minute drive from where we live. Last night, I made Mike go to Whole Foods with me so that he could experience all its goodness. Whole Foods always has out amazing free samples so Mike was just following me along and snacking on various goodies while I got a few things to last us for the week. Whole Foods is also great about making homemade meals that you can just microwave at a really low price so Mike and I will probably live off of that for the next four months! When we left the store, Mike was like, "I can see why you would like this store Bridget!" He's totally not into health stores but to know that he likes it means it is really as great as I think it is! Heck, I may even apply to work there since we're only here for four months. 

Speaking of work, I have applied for a few jobs on base and some off. Most of them are to be reading tutors part-time. I am also going to look into subbing with the public school system. I'd love to have my own classroom but I really can't since we're leaving in the middle of the school year. Mike started his first day of work yesterday and seems to really enjoy it. As with most Air Force pilots, Mike is still in training even though he graduated from flight school. He is training on the UH-1N which is what he'll be flying in Japan. He said his flight commander was super nice (which is a huge plus) and the schedule is nowhere near as hectic as he is normally accustomed to. This should be a nice change for him.

Mike is so funny though because he is not used to the west coast at all! We were at the mall and he was like "What's that funny looking food stand?" I looked over and said, "You don't know about Hot Dog on a Stick?" Now for those of you who don't know, Hot Dog on a Stick is food chain usually found in restaurants where employees wear ridiculous outfits and serve you...yes hot dogs on sticks! But not only that, you can get cheese on a stick...the list can go on! They also have fresh lemonade! 

Although I have had a wonderful time this past month hanging out with Mike, I have to go back to NJ and finalize all of our wedding plans. I have so much to do that it's too stressful to think about. Last night, I was freaking out to Mike saying "What if I'm sick on our wedding day? What if I have the flu? What if I have a cold?" Of course Mike rolled his eyes and told me that I need to worry about things when they are worth worrying about and not before. I totally know he's right. I just tend to think the worst case scenario, that way I am prepared in case it does happen! 

I will add photos on my next post of our road trip! 

No comments: