Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Movers are Here!

I'm camped out in the guest room while the movers are packing up all of Mike's stuff. If you guys have moved a lot, you know what I mean when I say that I feel awkward. I feel like I should be helping them move/pack things but you're really not supposed to do that. We've been giving them lots of drinks and we're getting them lunch so that should count for something...

Last night and super early this morning, Mike and I went through his whole house and had to decide which stuff would be shipped to Japan and which stuff would stay in storage until we get back in in 2012! There's a lot of crap that is going into storage that will either be thrown out or donated when we get back but we're in such a time crunch that we didn't want to deal with the additional headaches at this point. 

I found myself arguing with Mike over which stuff could be moved, stored, or thrown out. For example, Mike has this horrible pirate flag that hangs over his bed (or used to) and I immediately put it in the storage pile. It's not like I threw it away or anything, I was just hoping that he would grow out of his liking for it when we got back. Anyway, Mike asked why we couldn't bring the stupid flag and I was like "Are you kidding me? That flag is not going to hang in my house" Let me just give you an image of this flag. There is a picture of a skull drinking from a bottle and it says "Life is better when you've got a bottle of rum!" Mike doesn't even DRINK rum so why would he want that in our house? Then he said that he could hang the flag in his office. This just added more fuel to my fire. Eventually I won the argument as I always tend to do. But seriously, am I wrong for have the final say on what stays and what goes? If I let Mike pack everything, we would have all this crap in Japan and our house would look like a Bachelor pad. 

1 comment:

Rae said...

AHHAHAHAH!!! Oh, I shouldn't laugh. I really shouldn't. :) Phill had this painting from his mom....it was a really strange ultra-70's (and not cute retro, ugly retro) painting, the colors of which were: newborn diaper yellow, puke green, and a dark brown. Need I say more? He was endearingly (ha) attached to that thing, and I "let" him have it, but it broke (HALLELUJAH!!) on a move I made by myself while he was deployed. (Mysterious circumstances.) I didn't even pretend to be devastated, but was shocked when he WAS! Anyway. It's resting somewhere in some landfill. And I'm still not devastated. (Ssshhh...)