Thursday, January 22, 2009

Car Accident

Yesterday afternoon I was in a car accident. I was sitting at a stop light and had about a cars length distance between me and the car in front of me. I left some room in front of me because there was a school bus in the residential neighborhood (to my right--I was on the far right side of the street) that was waiting to turn onto the busy street. Unexpectedly, I was hit from behind while in Mike's truck and the whole truck was surged forward about four feet. Thankfully there wasn't a car close in front otherwise I would have been hit from both ends. Anyway, I immediately turned into the residential neighborhood (where the school bus was still waiting) and parked on the side of the road. I had not a scratch on me and felt fine...just shaken up. I figured the car that hit me would also turn into this neighborhood so that we could wait for the police to arrive. I got out of the car and took a look at the damages. Luckily, there wasn't much done to Mike's truck although I can't say the same for the car that hit me. They were driving a Lincoln town car and their hood was totally crunched. There was steam coming from from the front of the car and their trunk was also open. As I gathered the courage to call 911 (never have  before so it was a scary thing for me to do) I saw that the car that hit me was starting to drive off! They didn't get far before the stop light turned red again. While I was on the phone, I ran after the car and took down their license plate number. Also, a witness started to run after the car as well and knocked on their window and told the driver to pull over. They didn't listen and kept on driving. She ran back to me and told me that the drivers were an elderly couple and that they were both bleeding...not to mention that their air bags were deployed as well. She told me she was going to go after them to get them to pull over. I stayed on the phone and was told to wait for the police to arrive. Ten minutes later, I got a call from the police telling me to meet them three blocks up because they were with the elderly couple that hit me. As you can imagine, I was shaking pretty bad but I was more concerned with this couple. My worries increased when I got to the location as there were two cop cars, two ambulance trucks, and a fire truck. The paramedics were both working on the elderly couple. I was quickly informed that they would be both be okay, that the wife sustained some injuries that required her to go to the hospital, and that they were both 90 years old. The witness was able to get the elderly couple to pull over. She told me that when she got there, the husband got out of the car and wanted to know what happened to his car. She said they both didn't realize what happened to them. I felt totally awful at this point and had no amount of anger towards them. I pictured them as my grandparents and was very worried that minor injuries would turn into something greater. Long story short, I exchanged information with the police and Mike and I are now waiting on an estimate for the damages done to his truck. I am still very worried about this couple and have prayed several times since it happened. I am so lucky that this accident was not any worse,  but considering this was my first (and hopefully only) one, I hope to never experience such a shake up. 

6 comments:

Joshua said...

WOW Bridget! What a story! I am so glad you are okay - other than your nerves - and I love how you handled the situation with the elderly people. Such class! I was in 4 separate accidents in 2007 (only 1 was my fault), so I completely empathize with you!

A.Desroches said...

Sorry to hear about the accident. I am so glad to hear you are ok, as well as the elderly couple. Good luck on getting the car fixed.

Emily said...

yikes! that was scary! thank God you and the couple are okay. sounds to me like they should not have a license...they could really have hurt themselves and you. glad to hear you're fine. i looked at your wedding pictures, too...fabulous!

Kirby said...

Wow, so scary. I am so glad you are fine. I have been in two car accidents, neither or which involved other cars...don't ask. They always leave you pretty shaken up. Poor old people, I'm sure they will be fine.

Lynne Baker said...

Ohmigosh, Woo! I'm sitting here in tears reading about your mishap - and so grateful to God that you are all right. Those poor old folks! Fortunately no one was seriously injured and it will now call attention to the fact that they should not be driving.

Love you,

Auntie M

Rae said...

Oh my goodness, Bridget!!! Poor you, and poor old couple. I'm glad that it was a situation where there wasn't any bitterness or anger--and I think it helps that you're such a compassionate person!! I am sure they'll be blessed! (And you, too)